Achelo

Climate

The beginning of the 2019 growing season was defined by a dry winter with temperatures that were lower than seasonal averages. Spring saw frequent rainfall, especially during the month of April, and temperatures remained unseasonably cool resulting in a delay in grapevine development. The summer growing season brought higher than average temperatures allowing the vines to make up for the initial delay and begin the ripening phase in optimal conditions. At harvest time, grapes were perfectly healthy although berries were slightly smaller than normal. Harvesting operations for Achelo began on September 13th and were concluded on September 30th.

Vinification

Grapes were destemmed and gently crushed. The must was transferred into stainless steel tanks where pre-fermentation cold maceration was carried out to enhance fruity notes. Fermentation took place at temperatures that did not exceed 25 °C (77 °F) over a period of approximately 10 days. 70% of the wine was then transferred into second-fill and third-fill French oak barriques, where malolactic fermentation occurred. The remaining 30% was transferred into stainless steel vats.

Historical Data

The La Braccesca estate, whose overall surface extension is over 1250 acres (508 hectares), consists of two different vineyard blocks. The historical nucleus of the property, 255 acres (103 hectares) under vine, is located in the township of Montepulciano, while the other block, with approximately 590 acres (237 hectares) of vineyards, is situated at the foot of the hills which surround the town of Cortona.

Tasting Notes

Achelo 2019 is an intense ruby-purple color. On the nose, enticing aromas of red and black fruit merge with spicy hints of vanilla and characteristic notes of black pepper. Its palate is sweet and pleasant with a pleasurable persistence that highlights its fruity aftertaste rich in aromas of dark fruit; black currants, blackberry jam with light hints of vanilla.

Achelo 2019

The Wine

Achelo is a full flavored and delicate wine produced entirely with Syrah grapes to honor the historic and cultural importance of Cortona’s territory. The wine’s name was inspired by the Etruscan divinity Achelo, who appears on one of the most important Etruscan artifacts in the museum in Cortona, Museo dell’Accademia Etrusca.

Achelo 2019

The beginning of the 2019 growing season was defined by a dry winter with temperatures that were lower than seasonal averages. Spring saw frequent rainfall, especially during the month of April, and temperatures remained unseasonably cool resulting in a delay in grapevine development. The summer growing season brought higher than average temperatures allowing the vines to make up for the initial delay and begin the ripening phase in optimal conditions. At harvest time, grapes were perfectly healthy although berries were slightly smaller than normal. Harvesting operations for Achelo began on September 13th and were concluded on September 30th.

Grapes were destemmed and gently crushed. The must was transferred into stainless steel tanks where pre-fermentation cold maceration was carried out to enhance fruity notes. Fermentation took place at temperatures that did not exceed 25 °C (77 °F) over a period of approximately 10 days. 70% of the wine was then transferred into second-fill and third-fill French oak barriques, where malolactic fermentation occurred. The remaining 30% was transferred into stainless steel vats.

The La Braccesca estate, whose overall surface extension is over 1250 acres (508 hectares), consists of two different vineyard blocks. The historical nucleus of the property, 255 acres (103 hectares) under vine, is located in the township of Montepulciano, while the other block, with approximately 590 acres (237 hectares) of vineyards, is situated at the foot of the hills which surround the town of Cortona.

Achelo 2019 is an intense ruby-purple color. On the nose, enticing aromas of red and black fruit merge with spicy hints of vanilla and characteristic notes of black pepper. Its palate is sweet and pleasant with a pleasurable persistence that highlights its fruity aftertaste rich in aromas of dark fruit; black currants, blackberry jam with light hints of vanilla.

Tenuta La Braccesca

Tenuta La Braccesca

The estate’s name comes from the historical farm that once stood there, owned by the Count of Bracci, whose coat of arms appears on the estate’s logo: an arm covered with armor brandishing a sword. Marchesi Antinori acquired the estate in 1990. The property extends over an area of 508 hectares (1255 acres) and the vineyards cover an area of 340 hectares (840 acres) divided into two blocks: the first is 366 hectares (904 acres) of which 237 (585 acres) are planted with vineyards and is located on the border between the cities of Montepulciano and Cortona. The other block is 142 hectares (350 acres) of which 103 (254 acres) are planted with vineyards, it extends all the way to Montepulciano encompassing three of the most famous parcels of land known for the production of great red wines: Cervognano, Santa Pia and Gracciano.

Soil

Soil

Clay loam

Your browser is not supported

contacts - distribution