Achelo

Climate

The vintage was characterized by scarce rainfall during the spring and early summer, leading to the formation of small berries with a high ration of skins to juice. Immediately after the rains of mid-August, the vines began to absorb a bit of water; the berries, swelling in dimension, suffered a slight dilution of the sugar accumulated up to that date. During the following weeks, thanks to a mild and sunny climate in the ripening phase, sugar concentration once again increased but not to the normal elevated levels of a hot vintage. These two phenomenon assisted in creating wines which were rich in structuring elements but without excessive levels of alcohol.

Vinification

The Syrah from the vineyard plots utilized for Achelo began to be harvested from mid-September onwards. After the destemming and pressing, the fermentation on the skins commenced, first at low temperatures (50°Fahrenheit – 10° centigrade) in order to extract the typical varietal aromas and then continued at temperatures which never exceeded 82° Fahrenheit (28° centigrade) in order to maintain the aromas and the integrity of the fruit. After approximately ten days, 70% of the wine went into oak, where it went through a complete malolactic fermentation and began the aging process. The remaining 30% aged in stainless steel. The wine was bottled in early 2014.

Historical Data

The Fattoria La Braccesca estate, whose overall surface extension is over 1250 acres (508 hectares), consists of two different vineyard blocks. The historical nucleus of the property, 255 acres (103 hectares) under vine, is located in the township of Montepulciano, while the other block, with approximately 590 acres (237 hectares) of vineyards, is situated at the foot of the hills which surround the town of Cortona.

Tasting Notes

The 2012 Achelo reflects the extremely favorable conditions of the vintage for the Syrah grapes. It is a wine with an intense purple color whose nose shows the typical varietal notes of white fruit fused with pepper and tobacco. On the palate it is full and supple, and the flavors once again recall white peaches along with plums and blackberries; these, together with the balanced acidity, tobacco, and spices, accompany the entire flavor flow.

Achelo 2012

The Wine

Achelo is a full flavored and delicate wine produced entirely with Syrah grapes to honor the historic and cultural importance of Cortona’s territory. The wine’s name was inspired by the Etruscan divinity Achelo, who appears on one of the most important Etruscan artifacts in the museum in Cortona, Museo dell’Accademia Etrusca.

Achelo 2012

The vintage was characterized by scarce rainfall during the spring and early summer, leading to the formation of small berries with a high ration of skins to juice. Immediately after the rains of mid-August, the vines began to absorb a bit of water; the berries, swelling in dimension, suffered a slight dilution of the sugar accumulated up to that date. During the following weeks, thanks to a mild and sunny climate in the ripening phase, sugar concentration once again increased but not to the normal elevated levels of a hot vintage. These two phenomenon assisted in creating wines which were rich in structuring elements but without excessive levels of alcohol.

The Syrah from the vineyard plots utilized for Achelo began to be harvested from mid-September onwards. After the destemming and pressing, the fermentation on the skins commenced, first at low temperatures (50°Fahrenheit – 10° centigrade) in order to extract the typical varietal aromas and then continued at temperatures which never exceeded 82° Fahrenheit (28° centigrade) in order to maintain the aromas and the integrity of the fruit. After approximately ten days, 70% of the wine went into oak, where it went through a complete malolactic fermentation and began the aging process. The remaining 30% aged in stainless steel. The wine was bottled in early 2014.

The Fattoria La Braccesca estate, whose overall surface extension is over 1250 acres (508 hectares), consists of two different vineyard blocks. The historical nucleus of the property, 255 acres (103 hectares) under vine, is located in the township of Montepulciano, while the other block, with approximately 590 acres (237 hectares) of vineyards, is situated at the foot of the hills which surround the town of Cortona.

The 2012 Achelo reflects the extremely favorable conditions of the vintage for the Syrah grapes. It is a wine with an intense purple color whose nose shows the typical varietal notes of white fruit fused with pepper and tobacco. On the palate it is full and supple, and the flavors once again recall white peaches along with plums and blackberries; these, together with the balanced acidity, tobacco, and spices, accompany the entire flavor flow.

Tenuta La Braccesca

Tenuta La Braccesca

The estate’s name comes from the historical farm that once stood there, owned by the Count of Bracci, whose coat of arms appears on the estate’s logo: an arm covered with armor brandishing a sword. Marchesi Antinori acquired the estate in 1990. The property extends over an area of 508 hectares (1255 acres) and the vineyards cover an area of 340 hectares (840 acres) divided into two blocks: the first is 366 hectares (904 acres) of which 237 (585 acres) are planted with vineyards and is located on the border between the cities of Montepulciano and Cortona. The other block is 142 hectares (350 acres) of which 103 (254 acres) are planted with vineyards, it extends all the way to Montepulciano encompassing three of the most famous parcels of land known for the production of great red wines: Cervognano, Santa Pia and Gracciano.

Soil

Soil

Clay loam

Your browser is not supported

contacts - distribution