Achelo

Climate

The winter of 2013 was characterized by mild temperatures and by abundant precipitations which helped in replenishing ground water reserves in the soil after a period of scarce rainfall. Bud-burst terminated during the last ten days of April both for such early-maturing varieties as Merlot and Syrah and later-maturing grapes as Sangiovese thanks to a decisive rise in temperatures. Both the spring and the summer were cool and marked by substantial rainfall. This did not damage vine growth and development, which went forward regularly with only a slight delay in the ripening of the crop. Despite a late start to the harvest, the grapes had ripened properly with much balance when they were picked.

Vinification

The picking of the Syrah grapes utilized for Achelo began in mid-September. Fermentation commenced after destemming and pressing, initially at temperatures of 50° centigrade (10° centigrade) to extract the typical aromas of the variety, then at a maximum of 82° Fahrenheit (28° centigrade) to maintain fragrance and integrity of fruit. After ten days of skin contact, 70% of the wine went into oak, where it went through a complete malolactic fermentation and began its period of aging. The remaining 30% aged in stainless steel tanks. The wine was then bottled in early 2015.

Historical Data

The Fattoria La Braccesca estate, whose overall surface extension is over 1250 acres (508 hectares), consists of two different vineyard blocks. The historical nucleus of the property, 255 acres (103 hectares) under vine, is located in the township of Montepulciano, while the other block, with approximately 590 acres (237 hectares) of vineyards, is situated at the foot of the hills which surround the town of Cortona.

Tasting Notes

The 2013 Achelo demonstrates just how favorable a year for the ripening of Syrah the vintage was. The color is intensely purple, the nose shows such typical aromas of the variety as white fruit, tobacco, and pepper. The palate is full and supple with flavors of white peach and blackberries which, along with tobacco and spices, linger and last all the way through to the finish and aftertaste.

Achelo 2013

The Wine

Achelo is a full flavored and delicate wine produced entirely with Syrah grapes to honor the historic and cultural importance of Cortona’s territory. The wine’s name was inspired by the Etruscan divinity Achelo, who appears on one of the most important Etruscan artifacts in the museum in Cortona, Museo dell’Accademia Etrusca.

Achelo 2013

The winter of 2013 was characterized by mild temperatures and by abundant precipitations which helped in replenishing ground water reserves in the soil after a period of scarce rainfall. Bud-burst terminated during the last ten days of April both for such early-maturing varieties as Merlot and Syrah and later-maturing grapes as Sangiovese thanks to a decisive rise in temperatures. Both the spring and the summer were cool and marked by substantial rainfall. This did not damage vine growth and development, which went forward regularly with only a slight delay in the ripening of the crop. Despite a late start to the harvest, the grapes had ripened properly with much balance when they were picked.

The picking of the Syrah grapes utilized for Achelo began in mid-September. Fermentation commenced after destemming and pressing, initially at temperatures of 50° centigrade (10° centigrade) to extract the typical aromas of the variety, then at a maximum of 82° Fahrenheit (28° centigrade) to maintain fragrance and integrity of fruit. After ten days of skin contact, 70% of the wine went into oak, where it went through a complete malolactic fermentation and began its period of aging. The remaining 30% aged in stainless steel tanks. The wine was then bottled in early 2015.

The Fattoria La Braccesca estate, whose overall surface extension is over 1250 acres (508 hectares), consists of two different vineyard blocks. The historical nucleus of the property, 255 acres (103 hectares) under vine, is located in the township of Montepulciano, while the other block, with approximately 590 acres (237 hectares) of vineyards, is situated at the foot of the hills which surround the town of Cortona.

The 2013 Achelo demonstrates just how favorable a year for the ripening of Syrah the vintage was. The color is intensely purple, the nose shows such typical aromas of the variety as white fruit, tobacco, and pepper. The palate is full and supple with flavors of white peach and blackberries which, along with tobacco and spices, linger and last all the way through to the finish and aftertaste.

Tenuta La Braccesca

Tenuta La Braccesca

The estate’s name comes from the historical farm that once stood there, owned by the Count of Bracci, whose coat of arms appears on the estate’s logo: an arm covered with armor brandishing a sword. Marchesi Antinori acquired the estate in 1990. The property extends over an area of 508 hectares (1255 acres) and the vineyards cover an area of 340 hectares (840 acres) divided into two blocks: the first is 366 hectares (904 acres) of which 237 (585 acres) are planted with vineyards and is located on the border between the cities of Montepulciano and Cortona. The other block is 142 hectares (350 acres) of which 103 (254 acres) are planted with vineyards, it extends all the way to Montepulciano encompassing three of the most famous parcels of land known for the production of great red wines: Cervognano, Santa Pia and Gracciano.

Soil

Soil

Clay loam

Your browser is not supported

contacts - distribution