The Antinori Art Project was founded in 2012 at the same time as the inauguration of the new winery Antinori nel Chianti Classico. The idea was to create a project that continued the family’s art collecting traditions but with a new objective: to focus on contemporary art and artists. The futuristic architecture of the new winery is an ideal venue to satisfy visitors who are seeking fine wine tasting and sensory experiences.
The Antinori Art Project is therefore a platform for contemporary art exhibitions and installations, organized by well-known curators, that unites under one special program annual site-specific commissions realized by artists recognized in the national and international contemporary art scene as well as temporary exhibits and seminars organized in collaboration with the various museums and foundations.
Exhibitions curated by Chiara Parisi in 2012 and 2013 included participation by artists such as Yona Friedman, Rosa Barba and Jean-Baptiste Decavèle. The arrival of artistic director Ilaria Bonacossa in 2014 introduced other contemporary artists; Tomàs Saraceno whose work of art Biosphere 06, Cluster of 3 is installed in the vertical staircase of the cellar’s internal stairwell.
In 2015 the exhibition Still Life Remix was dedicated to the timeless theme of Still Life with the installation of artist Giorgio Andreotti Calo’s “Clessidra”; in 2016 the Antinori Art Project acquired the site specific work of art “Giant Fruit” by Nicolas Party and commissioned "Portal del Angel" by sculptor Jorge Peris, a precarious arc de triumph that was erected using reclaimed local materials including antique terracotta urns historically used for storing oil. In 2017, the Project commissioned Stefano Arienti, one of the most important Italian artists known and respected internationally, to design a new project intended to interact with the Renaissance masterpiece the Resurrection of Christ. Artist Giovanni della Robbia (Florence 1469 – 1529/1530) was commissioned by Niccolò di Tommaso Antinori to realize this impressive lunette at the beginning of the sixteenth century.
The lunette, owned by the Brooklyn Museum and known as the “Antinori Lunette” by art historians, returned to Florence for the first time since its departure 500 years ago for a special exhibit at the Bargello National Museum. The lunette underwent important conservation work in the United States with the generous support of the Antinori family. The exhibition “From Brooklyn to the Bargello: The Antinori Lunette, Giovanni delle Robbia and Stefano Arienti” was held at the Bargello National Museum in Florence from November 9th, 2017 through April 8th, 2018.
Visit the website | antinoriartproject.it