History

In the zone of Sovana there have been very important archaeological finds which go all the way back to the seventh century B.C. This was, in fact, first Etruscan territory and, only later, Roman.

In 594 A.D. Sovana and was conquered by the Lombards, which assigned it to the potent Aldobrandeschi family, which gave its name to the estate as well. Around the year 1000 A.D., thanks as well to Ildebrando di Sovana, who later became Pope Gregory VII and showed his native town with favors from the papal state, settlements expanded and Sovana became the capital of a wealthy and powerful county.

Sovana and the other settlements on tufaceous bluffs then passed under the domination first of Siena and then of Florence, finally becoming a part of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. But they remained at the margins of the Grand Ducal state, and did not re-acquire their former importance.

The Fattoria Aldobrandeschi is at the center of this historically rich territory, one of great viticultural interest as well, and one which represents a new frontier to interpret for the production of outstanding wine.