Vineyards

The Castello della Sala vineyards were originally planted to a number of traditional grape varieties, principally Procanico and Grechetto, which continue to be cultivated on the estate, giving proper emphasis and attention to these native grapes in their own selected terroir. Procanico is the Trebbiano clone of Umbria and has been cultivated around Orvieto since time immemorial.

Procanico differs notably from Tuscan Trebbiano in its lesser vigor and yields, its less compact bunches, and a yellow-pink, rather than green, skin. Grechetto is an Umbrian variety with a characteristically thick skin, a deep yellow in color, quite acid in its juice, low-yielding and notably tannic. It produces ample wines which are spicy on the nose, herbaceous with notes of freshly-cut hay, firm in structure, and with a good aging potential and elegance. Non-traditional grape varieties include various clones of Chardonnay – 60 hectares (150 acres) planted between 230 and 340 meters (750 to 1125 feet) above sea level – 20 hectares (50 acres) of Sauvignon Blanc – four hectares (10 acres of Pinot Noir at 340-460 meters -1125 – 1500 feet - above sea level. At the Castello there are also small vineyards parcels planted to Semillon e Gewürztraminer.

Cellars

The Castello della Sala, a fundamental edifice of the Umbrian Middle Ages is, at the same time, an innovative estate: the old and the new which coexist in the name of quality. Aging takes place in small barrels of French oak in the medieval cellars 30 meters (100 feet) below the castle, cellars which go back to fourteenth century and where time seems to have stood still; in the vineyards, however, experimentation goes constantly forward.

In 1985 an avant-garde fermenting cellar was created, one where particular attention was given to temperature control in order to maintain the aromatic freshness of the grapes, of fundamental importance for the wines of the castle. Continually searching for margins for improvement, for wines of constantly higher quality and greater subtlety, new cellars began to built in 2005, twenty years after the production of the first vintage of Cervaro.

The study and the planning of the new cellars were all realized in function of the practical needs of the viticulture and oenology of the castle and with the objective of creating innovative architectural and oenological solutions which would serve the production and quality objectives of the estate and its unique territory. To attain this objective, great attention was given to the partly underground structure’s place, its visual role in a context of exceptional beauty of environment and landscape which needed to be maintained.