The Castello della Sala towers over a tufaceous promontory of the Umbrian Apennines (at 534 meters, or some 1750 feet, above sea level) just a short distance away from the boundary with Tuscany and approximately 18 kilometers (11 miles) from the historic city of Orvieto. It is a lovely medieval fortress, surrounded by historic, hillside Etruscan villages, halfway between the Paglia river and the peak of Mount Nibbio.

The estate consists of a total surface area of 500 hectares (1250 acres), 140 of which (345 acres) are planted to vineyards located at 200-450 meters (650-1480 feet) above sea level on clayey soils rich in Pliocene-epoch fossils of volcanic and sedimentary origin. Approximately eight hectares (20 acres) are covered by olive groves for the production, for domestic use, of extra-virgin olive oil.